Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or Food Stamps)

What is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program?
Known as SNAP, Food Assistance or more colloquially as food stamps, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program provides financial assistance to eligible individuals for the purchase of approved food products.

Benefits begin from the date of application for approved recipients, with benefit amounts determined by household size and income.

Who is eligible for SNAP?
Regardless of age or disability, individuals who apply for SNAP must have a single gross monthly income of less than $1,265 (or $1,705 for a couple) or net monthly income of $973 ($1,311 for a couple). Applicants must also have resources of less than $2,250 ($3,250 if at least one household member is elderly or disabled). An additional $440 of gross income  ($339 net) is allowed per additional household member.

Non disabled adults (under 60) without dependent children are eligible for three months of benefits in any 36-month period where they are not employed.

Those above age 60 are considered elderly, and those receiving AND/AB, SSI, SSDI or veterans disability payments are considered disabled. If a household has at least one elderly or disabled individual, the resource limit increases by $1000 and certain deductions in countable income may be taken.

To see if you may be eligible for SNAP, complete the US Department of Agriculture’s Pre-Screening Eligibility Tool.

How to apply for SNAP
Individuals interested in apply for SNAP in Colorado must apply online or complete a Medicaid application and return in to their county department of social services. The county will then process the application and request an in-person interview with at least one household member.

During the evaluation process, applicants will have to confirm income and resources for all household members, as well as provide proof for deductions and allowable expenses. Benefits are calculated from the date of application and are back-payable. For more information call your county department of social services or our office at 303-333-3482.