Make a difference in the life of a senior in need this holiday season by supporting the Colorado Gerontological Society’s annual Holiday Baskets program!
This page provides information about how to volunteer, how to donate, and how to apply for a Holiday Basket!
The Colorado Gerontological Society is delivering Holiday Baskets to 350 older adults age 60 and over on December 16, 2023 from 9:30 am to noon. Connie W. says “This is one of my favorite activities of the year”, referring to the delivery of the holiday baskets, as she was swinging through the parking lot at the CGS office.
Volunteer to Deliver Baskets
We are delighted that you are planning to volunteer to deliver holiday baskets to 350 older adults as part of our annual Holiday Basket Program. We provide food for a holiday meal, as well as some pantry items that can be used in the future.
- Select the time slot and how many older adults to whom you want to deliver baskets.
- Purchase the food items on the list below for the number of individuals to whom you will be delivering baskets on or before Dec. 16.
List of Food Items:
- 2 cans of corn
- 2 cans of green beans
- 2 cans of soup
- 2 cans of fruit
- 2 cans of tuna
- 1 box of stuffing
- 1 pkg or box of rice
- 1 pkg or box of pasta
- 1 pkg or box of potatoes
- 1 pkg or jar of gravy
- 1 loaf of bread
- 1 box of cereal
- 1 pkg of cookies
- 1 box of crackers
- 2 oranges
- 2 apples
- 2 bananas
3. Attend one of the zoom training sessions:
4. Drive Through the Parking Lot at the CGS office, 1129 N. Pennsylvania St., in Denver, at the time you signed up. You will not need to get out of your car. Volunteers will fill your trunk with the following items for the number of baskets you are delivering to older adults:
- Hygiene kit
- Route you have been assigned
5. Deliver the baskets to older adults and wish them a very great holiday!
6. Call 303-333-3482 if you have questions (ask for Madisen).
Thank you! You will help us make 350 older adults grateful!
Ready to Volunteer?
We appreciate your support and look forward to working with you!
Donate Cash for Hygiene Items and Gifts!
The Colorado Gerontological Society is accepting two types of donations.
Every basket is delivered with a gift, as many of our clients have no family or friends. Thus we often hear that the gift that comes in our basket is the only gift they receive at the holidays. Additionally we are collecting cash to purchase hygiene items, gift bags, and other project costs.
To make a donation, visit our Amazon Wish List and select one or more gifts to donate: Amazon Wish List
Make a Cash Donation
Your cash donation will be used to purchase items for Holiday Baskets for older adults, from food to a warm blanket, hat or winter gloves.
Apply for a Basket
Older adults age 60 and over living in Metro Denver (South of 120th Avenue and north of County Line Road; West of Tower Road and East of Indiana St). Volunteers from the Colorado Gerontological Society will be delivering baskets to low income older adults who are in need and will be alone for the holidays. Deliveries will take place in METRO DENVER ONLY on Saturday, December 16, 2023 from 9:30 am to 12:00 pm. Individuals must be home to receive the basket, otherwise it will not be delivered.
To be considered to receive a basket:
1. Complete the application:(Applying does not guarantee that you will be selected to receive a basket.)
2. Mail the application to CGS, 1129 N. Pennsylvania St., Denver, CO 80203.
RETURN BY NOVEMBER 15.
3. Applications will be reviewed - priority will be given to individuals live alone, who do not have any relatives or friends with whom they will be spending any time during the holidays and who are low income.
4. Individuals selected to receive a basket will receive a call from volunteers on December 4, 2023. You must answer your phone to receive a basket to confirm your participation.
5. You will receive a phone call on December 16, 2023 about 30-45 minutes before your basket is delivered to let you know the volunteers are on their way.
6. Volunteers will call you when they come close to your home to let you know to meet them and accept the basket.
2022 Volunteers in Action
With the support of more 80 volunteer drivers, the Colorado Gerontological Society was able to deliver 360 holiday baskets and deli meals to older adults this holiday season. Through the generous donations of the community, older adults received a bag of food to make a holiday dinner as well as some food pantry items, a gift of blankets or hats and gloves, and a hygiene kits.
A special thank you goes to Optum and Cigna for support of the chickens, Distinct Realty for hats and gloves, Kaiser Permanente and Humana for hygiene kits, as well as Carol Gaylord and Roberta DeYoung. Other donors provided cash support to assist in purchasing additional items that were needed to supplement these donations.
Volunteers donated more than $10,000 in food for the baskets, as well as the cash donations we received to support the project.
The Society looks forward to working with this season’s volunteer team. Thanks to all for your support of the Holiday Baskets Program!