Assisted Living Administrator Training
The Colorado Gerontological Society is an approved provider of the Assisted Living Administrator Training course required for licensure of assisted living facilities in Colorado by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
A 2-hour orientation;
The 40-hour full training prior to assuming the administrator position; Or
The 16-hour supplemental training if you were not the administrator of record of an operating assisted living prior to December 31, 2018.
All individuals who own or operate an assisted living in Colorado (including temporarily) must be licensed!
Administrator Training Components
40-Hour Full Training
A 40-contact-hour curriculum including 20-hours of applicable state regulations and an additional 20-hours including an overview of business operations, daily business management, physical plant, resident care and resident psychosocial needs. Register
16-Hour Supplemental Training
Individuals who completed the previously approved 30-hour certification training before June 30, 2018 and who were not grandfathered by being the administrator of record of a Colorado facility on or before December 31, 2018 are eligible to take a special supplemental 16-hour training course instead of the full 40-hour course and still meet the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment’s licensure requirements.
Online Competency Test
Certification and Letter of Completion
Class Schedule & Registration
40-Hour Full Administrator Training
Available to individuals who have have not previously taken the training and have not been an assisted living administrator of record. Registrants must take the orientation, and all five days of training.
Choose a session below to register to the "Assisted Living Facility Owner/Operator" training:
16-Hour Supplemental Administrator Training
Available to individuals who have previously taken the 30-hour training and have not been an assisted living administrator of record with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment prior to December 31, 2018. Registrants must take the Orientation, Day One, and Day Five of the Administrator Training.
Choose a session below to register to the "Assisted Living Facility Owner/Operator Supplemental" training:
The course content meets rigorous standards set by the Colorado Department of Health and Environment to ensure that assisted living administrators are equipped to ensure the health and safety of their residents.
Registrants for the full 40-hour course will attend all five days, Monday through Friday.
Registrants for the supplemental 16-hour course will attend only days one and five of training, Monday and Friday.
8:00 am - 12:00 pm
12:30 pm - 1:30pm
1:45 pm - 2:45 pm
3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Life Safety Code
Adult Protective Services
4:15 pm - 5:00 pm
8:00 am - 11:00 am
Person Centered Care
11:15 am - 12:00 pm
12:30 pm - 4:15 pm
Cultural & Linguistic Service Delivery
Sexuality & Aging
4:30 pm - 5:00 pm
8:00 am - 10:30 am
Cognitive & Behavioral Care
10:45 am - 12:00 pm
12:30 pm - 2:00 pm
2:15 pm - 3:45 pm
Kitchens, Dietary Needs & Nutrition
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Day 4 Thur.
8:00 am - 9:00 am
9:15 am - 10:15 am
10:30 am - 12:00 pm
Infection Control and Isolation
12:30 pm - 2:30 pm
Falls & Lift Assist
2:45 pm - 5:00 pm
Emergency Operations Planning
8:00 am - 1:30 pm
Business Strategic Planning
1:45 pm - 3:30 pm
3:45 pm - 5:00 pm
State and Federal Mandates
Proof of Identity & Lawful Presence
The State of Colorado requires that all class participants must prove identity to receive a certificate of completion of the administrator training.
You will be required to sign a copy of the state approved form documenting lawful presence and submit a copy of a current Colorado’s Driver’s License, Current Colorado non-driver identification card; current US federal, state or local government-issued identification (including military); current tribal enrollment card with photo or other form of photo tribal identification; current passport, or current student identification.
Submit copies of lawful presence affidavit and your identification in one of the following ways:
- Mail copy to Colorado Gerontological Society, 1129 N Pennsylvania St, Denver CO 80203
- Fax a copy to Colorado Gerontological Society at 303-333-9112
- Email an encrypted copy to email@example.com
Refunds & Cancelations
All cancellations must be received in writing five days prior to the session.
A $100 processing fee will be charged for all cancellations.
Refunds will be made approximately thirty days after the training in the same payment method as the original registration.
Individuals who cancel less than one week prior to training start will not be entitled to a refund.
Rules & Regulations
The rules and regulations form the basis of the content of the administrator training course. Individuals attending the class are encouraged to review the following rules and regulations prior to the class.
- Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment Standards for Hospitals and Health Facilities (6 CCR 1011-1) Chapter 7 ‘Assisted Living Residences’
- Colorado Department of Public Health and EnvironmentStandards for Hospitals and Health Facilities (6 CCR 1011-1) Chapter 2 ‘General Licensure Standards’
- Colorado Department of Health Care Policy and Financing Program Rules and Regulations (10 CCR 2505-10) Section 8.495 ‘Alternative Care Facilities’
- Colorado Department of Public Safety Building, Fire and Life Safety Code (8 CCR 1507-31)
- Colorado Department of Human Services, Adult Protective Services (12 CCR 2518-1)
- Colorado Department of Human Services, Older Americans Act (ombudsman) (12 CCR 2510-1
- Consumer Protection – Assisted Living Residence Referral ( Rev. Stat. § 6-1-729)
- Colorado Department of Labor and Employment
- 6 CCR 1010-2, COLORADO RETAIL FOOD ESTABLISHMENT REGULATIONS, PERTAINING TO FOOD SAFETY, FOR RESIDENCES LICENSED FOR 20 OR MORE BEDS
- 6 CCR 1009-1, EPIDEMIC AND COMMUNICABLE DISEASE CONTROL
- 6 CCR 1007-2, Part 1, Regulations Pertaining to Solid Waste Disposal Sites and Facilities, Section 13, Medical Waste
- 6 CCR 1007-3, PART 262, STANDARDS APPLICABLE TO GENERATORS OF HAZARDOUS WASTE.